Domestic Partnership is recognizable by the diversity of family configurations, including lesbian, gay, and other non-traditional couples. Persons must file an Affidavit of Domestic Partnership to receive benefits under the laws of the state in which the document is filed.
An Affidavit of Domestic Partnership form may be filed if your relationship meets the following requirements:
• Both you and your partner are residents of your state on the date of registration.
• Both persons are at least 18 years of age.
• Neither you nor your partner is married or related by blood in a manner that would bar his or her marriage.
• Both of you have a close and committed personal relationship, live together, and have been living together on a continuous basis.
• You and your partner must be able to truthfully state an identical residential address on the Affidavit of Domestic Partnership form.
• Neither you nor your partner is currently in another Domestic Partnership or has registered another Domestic Partnership Affidavit within the last six months.
The Affidavit of Domestic Partnership must be filled out completely and truthfully under oath, signed by both partners, notarized by a notary public, and filed with the courts.